These are benefits that are generally paid for a short duration of time (not exceeding 26 weeks or 6 months), and are meant to replace loss of employment income. They include:
The Short-Term Benefits being paid by MSSF are as follows:
Sickness Benefit is a benefit payable to an Insured Person who is made temporarily incapable of work as a result of a specific disease or bodily or mental disablement. The benefit is payable at the rate of 60% of the Claimant’s Average Weekly Insurable Earnings (AWIE) for a maximum period of 26 weeks of medically certified illness.
Following are the requirements which must be satisfied for an Insured Person to qualify for Sickness Benefit:
- A Sickness Benefit form must be completed by the Claimant
- A Sickness Medical Certificate must be presented certifying that the Claimant will be incapable of work.
- The Claimant must have paid at least 26 weekly contributions.
- He / She must have paid 8 weekly payments in the last 13 weeks immediately prior to the start of the illness
- He / She must not have engaged in any activity which could result in the Disqualification of his claim.
All Claims for Sickness benefit must be submitted to the MSSF within 15 days from the date of issue of the Medical Certificate.
NB – No Sickness Benefits are paid to an Insured Person on or after attaining the Pensionable Age.
Maternity Benefit is a periodical payment made to a woman who is rendered incapable of work as a result of her pregnancy and confinement. The benefit is payable at the rate of 60% of the Claimant’s Average Weekly Insurable Earnings (AWIE) for a maximum period of 12 weeks.
Following are the requirements which must be satisfied for an insured woman to qualify for Maternity Benefit:
- Submit a Medical Certificate certifying that she is pregnant, and expected to confine by a specific date;
- Complete and submit a Maternity Benefit Grant and Maternity Certificate BEFORE Confinement
- Have been insured with MSSF for at least 30 weeks
- Have been in insurable employment for at least 20 weeks in the last 30 weeks immediately prior to the commencement of maternity leave.
- Not have engaged in any activity which could result in the Disqualification of her claim.
All Claims for Maternity benefit must be submitted to the MSSF no earlier than 13 weeks from the expected date of confinement or within 4 weeks after the date of confinement.
Upon confinement, $600.00 to :
- An insured woman; or
- The Uninsured spouse of an insured man.
To qualify for the grant the insured woman or her spouse (as the case may be), must satisfy the following conditions:
- The Claimant must present a Medical Certificate of Confinement stating the date of confinement;
- Complete and submit an Maternity Grant Application;
- Have paid contributions for at least 26 weeks in the last 52 weeks immediately preceding date of confinement.
Where the Claimant has insufficient Contributions to qualify for a Maternity Grant, the combined contributions of the husband and wife, or spouses living in association for a period of not less than 3 years may be used to meet the required number of Contributions.
Please note that all Claims for Maternity Grant must be submitted to the MSSF within 15 days from the date of Confinement. Maternity Grant is not payable after 12 months have elapsed.